Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Thankful Heart


By Joe Guffey

As many of you know my son Patrick and his wife (Abby) had twin premature babies born in April at only 24 weeks. The babies, Emma and Owen (pictured above), went to Cardinal Glennon Hospital and are doing better with Owen going home 2 weeks ago (with high BP) and Emma (respiratory issues) hopefully to join him at home in late October.  The full extent of any damage or long-term problems are not known but we are so grateful for where they are now and how far they have come in 5 months.

But let me go back 5 months and shout a loud praise for my Px90 (Sean Walsh led) table mates and other Px90 friends. When the twins were born and we knew there were multiple ways this could turn out including one or both babies dying or being brain damaged etc.  I folded my hands and prayed really really hard; And then I opened my hands and typed a message to my fellow Px90 Men and said I need your prayers for my family.

Let me tell you their immediate responses and support and prayers were a God send during a very difficult time.  The Px90 men and this program are the best things to happen to me and have helped me grow in my faith and as a Catholic Man.

We see so many tragedies happening to other people and always think wow that is too bad- I hope they are okay and say a quick prayer - and then move on - understandable of course.  But when the tragedy or dramatic event is at your own doorstep you want and need all the support and prayers you can get.  And let me tell you the Px90 men stepped up and continue to pray for Emma & Owen and my family and to ask about them and provide me with encouragement that everything will be okay. And I have shared with Patrick & Abby the emails of support and prayers and that has lifted them up knowing so many people are asking God for help.

I know "real men" don't cry but I have to confess to shedding some tears when I received the many emails of prayers and support from my group and to know I was not alone in this fight -- So THANK YOU Catholic men of Px90 for being living examples of Jesus' love and strength and may God always bless you and be with your family and you.

No comments: