Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Farewell my friend

I write these words with a heavy heart, after receiving word of the passing of my good friend, Tim Bannes.  

So many of you in the Holy Infant community have experienced first hand the selfless love, and tireless devotion of this man.  Each of you have your own memories and stories.  Here are a few of mine….

As a volunteer of the Youth Ministry program, I got to spend a lot of time with Father Bannes.  I remember watching him slowly walk the parking lot with one of our teens, hearing confession.  We would go up to Mulligans every week after Life Nights.  We would always dare him to eat a cup of mayonnaise or finish a double bogey.  He was there on float trips, fall retreats, and earned the nickname Padre Skio when we took 100 kids up to Winter Park, Colorado.

I saw early on, that he was always the last one to eat.  The last one to bed, always staying late to clean up.  When something needed attending to, he was just there.  It was such a great comfort.

As he spent more time with our family, my children got to see that priests are regular people.  They would run to the door when “Fruncle Bannes” would arrive.  He would put food in and then back out of his mouth at dinner, or burp and play “Guess what I ate!”  He was the first priest they ever really knew.   He took my son and I to Bennett Springs and helped Joey catch his first trout.  He would come by for Halloween dressed as Shaggy from Scooby Doo or Spock from Star Trek.  He blessed our home.  Served an intimate mass for our 20th wedding anniversary.

Lisa took spiritual direction from him, sometimes talking in his messy office for hours.  Never feeling rushed.  Never giving the impression that he needed to be anywhere but there, with you, in that moment.

He shared his most beloved treasure with us.  Medjugore.   As I'm writing this, the community there is grieving with us and dedicating mass to their devote and loving friend.  He’s prayed over us, laughed with us, and cried with us.  

Some priests give amazing homilies.  Some are great confessors.  Others are studied theologians.  Tim was given a unique gift.  One that he used better than anyone I’ve ever met.  He was given the gentle spirit of service and love.  You could see it in his eyes, and feel it when his hands would bless you.   Our family has been forever changed by his ministry, by his example, and by his friendship.

I remember him always laughing when he said, “The sweet release of death.  I pray for it every day.”  Well, my brother, your prayers have been answered.  Until I see you again, Duc in Altum.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this...Fr. Tim was a classmate in high school and it is good to hear about his life and the folks he touched

Unknown said...

I will miss your friendly smile, your gentle and humble nature.

He was a friend and colleague in teaching PSR before he was ordained. What fun he was to have across the hall and to see his antics. Everyone would run to Fr. Bannes when he walked in because he cared for them in so many ways and was so much fun.
He always made time to hear confessions for Holy Infant junior high students even when his line was twice as long as others.
He was always there to listen, really listen to anyone who spoke to him. He made everyone feel like a best friend. And oh my, some of the silly hats he wore on occasions! Where on earth did he get them!!!!!
The shock isn't gone even though he is. But he's a-smiling down and has the last laugh as his tough time is over. I have no doubt he is with God in paradise.

The good die young and I wish you didn't have to go but we loved knowing you, Tim.

grandma-pa sturm said...

Fr. Tim was such a comfort to my husband, Jim. Fr. Tim was Jim's spiritual adviser as he became fully Catholic late in life.
Jim was baptized Catholic when we were dating in the 70's, but never practiced until he was battling cancer these past years. Over our 40 years of marriage, he had come to accept all the moral and theological wisdom of the Catholic Church except one teaching... The real presence of the Incarnational Jesus in the Eucharist. That was his roadblock to full communion.
A few years ago, when Jim was asking God for the miracle of healing his cancer, he thought, "I believe that God can heal me. I am asking for this. If I He can heal me, He can make Himself look like bread, if He wants to."
The roadblock had collapsed.
He looked to Father Tim for what to do next. Jim and Tim hit it off right away. Fr. Tim had a wonderful combination that drew Jim...an analytical mind and a giving, gentle heart. (WHAT a wonderful combination!) They discovered that they had the same birthday (October 29th) and the same favorite scripture passage (Ephesians 6:10-18 - about putting on the Armor of God). I think it is somehow significant that their birthday is coming up tomorrow and that the Armor of God epistle was the reading at Mass day before yesterday.
With Tim's guidance, Jim was Confirmed two years ago. After that, Jim offered his sufferings up in union with Jesus, saying in times of hard pain, "I hope this is helping someone else out."
Jim died at home, very happy, surrounded by friends and family. Fr. Tim's final, kind gift to us was to grant Jim's last request of him: Fr. Tim returned to Holy Infant this past June to offer Jim's funeral Mass.
I can understand Fr. Tim's daily prayer to be released from this life. I am so happy for him, and a bit jealous.

Hank Kraichely said...

We first met Fr. Bannes when he was assigned to Holy Infant. My wife had Ather in the women's bible study. Every week one of the members would in a treat and Father eat his share and took left overs back to the rectory. This was a weekly practice until he found that he had diabetes.

We saw again at mass in his new country parish. He was so relaxed and happy. During mass he had the biggest smile when he gave his homely. We went to mass each time the parish had a dinner. We always waited for him after mass and were greeted with a big smile. I told my wife that he had found his home he loved it so much.

I heard the news last Thursday and couldn't believe it, he was so young. I have experienced so many different, disbelief, questioning GOD why, we needed him so much ( I realized when I began praying that I was wrong to question GOD). Then the final feeling, grief. I knew he is in heaven but I still missed him. Now I am about to turn 74 and furnals are coming more frequently. I attended one yesterday and for a moment I saw my body there, it was my furnal. I have no idea when that day will come but when it does I hope to see some of the Holy Infant priests that have left this earth and now reside in haven!