Tuesday, July 15, 2014

World Cup Passion



It was a Sunday morning in 1974 when I first experienced it. I was 12 years old. My Dad took me to the Kiel Center to watch it live via satellite. West Germany vs. Holland – the World Cup final. Two international soccer powerhouses going at it. Simmons, Brock and Unger were replaced by Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Muller. My passion for a sport I loved grew stronger. And passion is a strange thing. I’m more careful now about what my passion is, and what God’s passion is for me.

The 2014 World Cup is over. The Germans reign as kings. I’ve watched World Cup matches for 40 years. This year’s has been the most entertaining tournament. Great goals, great drama. The images of Brazilian fans crying as the Germans dissected their team will remain etched in my mind. What passion they have for their team. The expectations are the same every World Cup for Brazil. Anything less than winning is a failure – especially when you’re playing at home. What a painful experience to see their love and passion turn to tears. Excruciating.

In 1999, we had our own World Cup run. Our Budweiser Flyer Over-30 team won the Missouri state championship. This was the first and only time we won the Missouri title. We were told that the U.S. Over-30 championship would be held in St. Louis in June for the Final Four teams. Collectively, we decided to pursue this Holy Grail. Remarkably, we kept winning until we were 1 of 8 teams left in the country playing for the championship. Our next match was for the Midwest Regional championship against a Chicago team. The winner goes to the Final Four. We were creeping toward the finals, infatuated with the possibility of being U.S. champions.

The match was to be played in Blaine, MN. Ugghhh! A 10+ hour drive to play one game. If that wasn’t bad enough, the date was even worse – Sunday, June 20 1999…….Father’s Day. To this day, I want to meet the person(s) responsible for scheduling this date. Nevertheless, like my teammates, we were focused on just playing and winning. Reluctantly, my wife allowed me to go. This once in a lifetime opportunity trumps everything else.

I will never forget that day. We got to the field about an hour before game time to prepare. The Chicago team brought a litany of fans with their flags. The drive wasn’t quite as far for them. They sang the Polish national anthem before the game. The scene was a bit surreal.

As I sat on the bench and began to open my Adidas bag, I noticed a manila envelope at the bottom below my boots. The envelope was marked with the word “Daddy”. Sensing an emotional moment, I went underneath the bleachers alone and opened the envelope. My two children left me pictures and a love letter, saying how much they missed me and wished I were with them. My pregnant wife left a card and a note expressing her love for me and a joyous Father’s Day. Words can’t describe my feelings and the emotions going through me. My family needed their Dad. I was 37 years old, in Blaine, MN on Father’s Day so I could selfishly play a soccer game. And let’s be very clear about this…..it was only a stupid game. There was a team that needed me much more that day. Sadly, I knew that all along but I wanted to fulfill my own wishes, and not the wishes of God. As husbands/fathers, we are appointed captains of a team that is vital to humanity. If we fail in that responsibility, the world will continue to decay. As Pope John Paul so eloquently stated – “As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live.”

How can I base my identity as a man on a passion that only I desire? What kind of man does that? Do you think my wife and kids care about my ability to play soccer. What will they possibly benefit from that? Every day I’m fighting my self-centeredness to choose God’s will, and not my own. I have failed so many times, but I won't turn my back. God has a plan for me that I’m still seeking. I pray to St. Joseph, patron Saint of Father’s, to intercede on my behalf so I can copy his example to lead my family like he led the Holy Family. Joseph - what an example of a true man, what a hero. Imagine what the world would be like if we followed his statistics. That’s why I keep going to our PX90 sessions. It’s my constant reminder to pick up my cross and walk with Jesus. It’s not a sacrifice to seek God’s will, it’s our duty. Don’t wait to get a love letter from your wife or children to get your attention. They need us now more than we think.

We did win in Minnesota and advanced to the National semi-final, but lost to a Seattle team that won it all. After that loss, my passion was even stronger for God’s will. So I quit playing to be the man God wanted me to be - at home, with my wife and children. I never regretted that decision.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sean, thanks for sharing again. How the good Lord works. I had just read yesterday at lunch in a book about St John Paul the Great.

He said, " every man who seeks the Kingdom of God finds himself."

Thank you for setting the bar so high, Sean

Mark Sauerburger

Unknown said...

Very well stated Sean! How many of us have been misled by the pride and ambition of youth?!? I would venture to say ... all of us (including myself) at some point in our lives. It's a matter of focus! Thank you Sean for helping us to bring into focus on what truly matters ... God and family!

God Bless
Deacon Daniel Raidt

Anonymous said...

So true Sean... whether for something big like a weekend away for a game, of for even an afternoon of golf... or just for watching your tv show one evening or getting up early to unload the dishwasher before going to work. Like the Little Flower championed... let every little thing count... when you do it for others.