Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Post Season - The Cardinal Way




Some things are a constant with the changing season in St. Louis.  Relief from the humid summer, the colors of the leaves, and the Cardinals heading towards October baseball.

I remember listening to Jack Buck on a small radio in my back yard with my Dad and brother.  My mom made a makeshift tray with shoulder straps and "sold" hot dogs and drinks to us since we couldn't afford to go down to Busch Stadium.  We would hang on to every called strike.

My memory is not selective.  I remember some real droughts in the 90s when my beloved redbirds were struggling to be competitive.  But they also have given me some of the best memories of my life.  Who doesn't remember where they were for Ozzie's home run, hearing, "Go Crazy folks!  Go Crazy!"  The home run race between McGuire and Sosa.  The Pujols' home run in Houston against Brad Lidge.  Or the infamous game 6.  Miracles happened that night.  I was there.  I'll never forget it.

As I get a bit older, and have some perspective, I appreciate not just a victory, or a great season, but the dynasty that's been on display in our town for 132 years.  The Cardinals play baseball the way it is supposed to be played;  hard work, fundamentals, and a love for the game.  Bill Dewitt recently spoke to our current team about the Cardinal Way.  The idea that playing for this franchise means something special.  That the name on the back of your jersey is not as important as the one on the front.

There are questions still to be answered about what kind of manager Mike Matheny will become, but in my mind there is no question about what kind of man he is.  As a little league coach he sent out a letter to the prospective parents to read and sign.  It has since been dubbed the "Matheny Manifesto".  After reading this, you will see why he is a perfect fit as the leader of our team.  


An excerpt from his letter:

"I also need all of you to know that my priorities in life will most likely be a part of how I coach, and the expectations I have for the boys.  My Christian faith is the guide for my life and I have never been one for forcing my faith down someone's throat, but I also believe it to be cowardly, and hypocritical to shy away from what I believe.  You as parents need to know for yourselves and for your boys, that when the opportunity presents itself, I will be honest with what I believe.  That my make some people uncomfortable, but I did that as a player, and I hope to continue it in any endeavor that I get into."

I'm also an Adam Wainwright fan.  Not because he should win the Cy Young award this year for the best pitcher in the National league, but because of his character.  For those of you who don't know the man behind the best curve ball in the game, watch this short video.


In an age of failed leadership and fast paced lives I think God gives us an opportunity to slow down this fall.  Fire up the grill, play some catch in the back yard and watch the greatest team play the greatest game this country has ever seen.  A game that doesn't create character, but reveals it. 



No comments: