Thursday, October 4, 2018

God Speaks on the Radio

God Speaks on the Radio

I’m certain God speaks to me.  I am also certain that I’m never quite sure exactly when He does.  Every time I think He is speaking to me, loud and clear, I begin to question whether I’m actually putting ideas into my own head.  How can I ever be certain?

I knew I was on schedule to write a blog post this week, so I kept my ears open to anything and everything God might be trying to tell me to write about.  After coming out of reconciliation recently, which arguably should be the time I am most predisposed to hear the Word of God, I started my car and Twisted Sister’s 1980’s rock anthem “We’re Not Gonna Take It” came blaring over the radio.  Hmm, what was God trying to tell me?  I wondered what secret faith-filled message was contained in Dee Snider’s familiar vocals.  There have been a number of former head-banging stars who have swapped party lifestyles for clean living and dedication to Christianity.  Could one of the most outrageous-looking hair-band leaders of the 80’s be one of those inspirational stories?

Maybe it was something else.  The popular song has been adopted as the inspirational anthem by school teachers, conservative politicians, and even Christian bands, with slightly modified lyrics in the latter instance.  On the other hand, there is a line in the song that says “We’ve got the right to choose it…”  Perhaps that was a dig at the Pro-Life position. 

Even though the lyrics are extremely tame by today’s standards, it was one of the major focuses in the 1985 federal hearings that brought about warning labels on music.  Those hearings were prompted by the Parents Music Resource Center, which was a committee spearheaded by Tipper Gore, among others.  Al Gore was one of the senators leading questioning.  Hmm, maybe I was supposed to be on the lookout against the Gores.  Maybe it had to do with censorship?  I have no idea what I was supposed to be getting out of all this. 

The next day I started my car and turned the radio to my next pre-set station.  Covenant Network Catholic Radio came on.  They were in the midst of a telethon to raise money for ongoing expenses and continued expansion of the network.  Because of Covenant Network, Catholic radio programming can be heard on stations across at least 5 states, and worldwide when listened online.

And so, I’m now absolutely certain…maybe 85 or 90%...that God spoke to me through Catholic radio, and wanted me to pass it along.  I can say with complete honesty, that Catholic radio has helped me to learn more about my faith and grow in my belief.  I encourage you to tune in.  I listen on AM 1460, but there are several FM & AM options that come in throughout different parts of the region.  Visit OurCatholicRadio.org to find out more info.  You can view a list of stations, listen online, or find out more about the history of Covenant Network.  I encourage you to click on the “About” section, where many of you will recognize a familiar face or two.

As we hear in 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22, paraphrased, be sure to check out everything, and grab on to what is good.  For me, Catholic radio has been a great blessing.  If you don’t already listen, I encourage you to check it out, and if you find it to be good, grab onto it.  If you listen this week, you’ll hear what’s left of the telethon.  The volunteers taking part in the telethon make for some interesting radio, and you may hear a familiar voice now and then, but I also encourage you to check out their normal programming schedule.  Throughout each day, there is something for everyone, no matter where you find yourself in your current faith journey. 

Oh…and also loosely referenced in Thessalonians, you can throw out the first few paragraphs about Twisted Sister.  Sometimes we have to dig through the noise to find something good worth holding onto.  Sometimes we just have to change the station.


written by: Matt Buehrig

No comments: