Wednesday, January 31, 2018

2 Weeks Until Lent

I’m tired of the frigid days, the cold winds, and the wildly fluctuating temperatures this winter.  I’m exhausted from the kids’ return to school and all of their projects and activities.  I’m sick of sports, and sitting in gymnasiums, and the monotonous thumping of orange balls, and ringing of loud buzzers.  I’m ready for a break from work.

Lent is nearly upon us, and I know I’m not prepared.  The season is there for us to fast and prepare for Easter.  I know I’m not even prepared to start preparing.  I want Lent to be a time of focus on God, building up of His church, and witness to those around me.  The way I am now, stuck in the doldrums of this wintry ordinary time, I don’t think I’d be a good witness to anyone.

Tonight I head to reconciliation.  I say this not to pat myself on the back, nor to admit some large sin on my soul.  I simply recognize that I need a recharge.  This is a public challenge to myself.  Slowly but surely, my outlook has been getting more negative, and my motivation is lacking.  My windshield isn’t cracked, but the view is certainly smudged and dirty.  It’s time to change the wiper blades…or refill the washer fluid…or whatever analogy you prefer.

I need to reset myself, and my mind, and my soul to a more perfect place.  Until I do that, I’m not going to be properly disposed for all of the graces that will be available to me during fasting, prayer, and Lenten Preparation.  Its two weeks until Ash Wednesday.  Why wait?  Get started now.  Jesus took 40 days preparing in the desert.  I could probably stand to tack on AT LEAST two extra weeks for my own preparation!  It’s time to stop seeking out rest and relaxation that has been evading me.  I’m not a saint yet.  I’m not in heaven!  Until that day, my work is not finished.  I know my conscience has been telling me to get up and get back to my spiritual improvement NOW.  Time to stand back up and join the forward march of the church militant.  If you know me…if you see me…I’m asking for your help to avoid staying in the winter doldrums.  I want to bring my attitude, my efforts, and my soul into the warmth and rejuvenation of spring. 

There have been some excellent posts recently on this blog site, with writings worth pondering, and even 18 tips to move closer to the “best version of yourself.”  I’d encourage you to look back at some of those posts that have meatier substance than the personal pep talk you've read here.  When I sat down to write, I didn’t know where today's blog would end up.  Even without a plan, however, it’s reassuring to remember “Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”  (Mt 6:8)  Thanks for bearing with me as I got some challenges for my Lenten journey down in writing to keep myself accountable.  With that I’ll stop, before I cross the line into babbling on like the pagans do...or perhaps I already have!  (see Mt 6:7)


-Matt Buehrig

No comments: