Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Joy To The World

Merry Christmas! 

As we sit in the midst of the Christmas season, may JOY be with you and your family!  Jesus has come.  Our Lord has become man for us and for all.  This is something that can never be taken from us and from the history of mankind.

Having just arrived home from our fourth straight day of extended-family celebrations, I personally sit in the midst of my own packed Christmas season.  We have one more family celebration to go this coming weekend.  I am exhausted.

I love Christmas.  I love the preparation of Advent.  I love the 12 days of Christmas.  I love pulling down my street with the glow of Christmas lights shining the way to my home.  I love Christmas mass.  I love the youthful exuberance, and early Christmas morning, and kids ripping open presents.  I even love the never-ending Christmas songs on the radio.  All of these things bring me joy.

Work continues.  I find myself in the office trying to be productive even when it seems I’m the only human working this week.  Bills continue.  Fueled by presents and increased grocery shopping for parties and the electric meter spinning frantically to run Christmas lights, the money is flying out faster now than the rest of the year.  Family commitments continue.  Family is great, but day after day of commitments make it tough to keep smiling.

During all of this, I must never forget the true reason for the season.  Jesus is here.  Our Savior has come to earth.  Joy has come for all time.  Don’t let the Grinches out there take your joy.  Don’t let work and bills and the aspects of the season that may annoy you, steal your joy.  This joy cannot be taken, it can only be given.  This joy is yours, and is so full and complete, that you can give it to others without ever losing it for yourself.  Give joy.  Keep joy.  Be joyful.    

The angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For today in the city of David a savior has been born for you who is Messiah and Lord. "(Luke 2:10-11)

Merry Christmas, and JOY to you and yours!


-Matt Buehrig

No comments: