Tuesday, September 26, 2017

My Favorite Mystery

Last month I wrote about beer…among other things.  This month I gave up beer.  I’d like to say it was part of a spiritual fast, and my withholding was tied in with prayer and meditation, but in all honesty, it was strictly dietary.  As I look back over the past few weeks, I realize that I wasted opportunities.  My diet involved days of fasting.  Although I remembered to bathe and comb my hair (see Matthew 6:16-18), I should have joined my minor physical discomfort to prayer, and given it a higher purpose.  I wonder what other opportunities are wasted.

I think the rosary may be one of the most misunderstood prayers in our faith, and perhaps one of the most incorrectly executed prayers by those who regularly recite it.  I think many opportunities to grow closer to Jesus are wasted during the reciting of countless decades of the rosary.  I am confident in saying this because for many years I know I was guilty of religiously “saying” the rosary, but not “praying” it.

What is the rosary?  Is it simply a way to log prayer minutes?  Is it nothing more than rote verse?  If it is, then we’re doing it wrong.  Rather, the rosary is a time to meditate on our faith, on God, and on the life of Jesus Himself.  Meditating on each mystery of the rosary should be our focus throughout the prayer.  If we are not dwelling on the mysteries as we pray, then truly we are simply reciting repetitive words.

My favorite mystery is the 2nd Joyful Mystery: The Visitation.  Seemingly, there isn’t much to this mystery.  It could be a simple story to fill the space between Gabriel’s visit, and the Nativity.  Sure Elizabeth was pregnant with John, and he’ll come back into play in 30 years or so, but there could be an argument made that Jesus and John don’t even seem to know each other personally when they are reunited in the Jordan River.  If we just take the words ‘Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth’ at face value, then we’re done.  We really don’t have much else to meditate on as we recited the next ten Hail Mary’s.

The mysteries, however, are an invitation for us to remember, to read, to study, to recall, and to ponder every aspect of Jesus’ life.  On the one hand, how cool is Mary?  In the first chapter of Luke, we hear that upon finding out she was pregnant with Jesus; Mary decided to hike up to the hill country in Judah to visit Elizabeth.  Three months later, and three months further along in her pregnancy, she would hike back.  I don’t know if that gives much revelation into the life of Jesus, but as someone who loves the outdoors, I think our mother Mary is pretty awesome for getting out and walking around the mountains.

Admittedly that first insight about Mary hiking is something I just like to consider privately, and doesn’t have a greater theological basis.  Everyone walked everywhere in those days, but it still makes me smile when I ponder that mystery while taking a hike up the hills at Castlewood State Park.  If you want material that is a little deeper, however, we only need to read on in Luke.  We find that the unborn John the Baptist leaped in the womb of Elizabeth, upon hearing Mary’s greeting, and upon being overjoyed at the visit from the unborn Jesus she was carrying.  (Paraphrase from Luke 1:40-41)  If this passage isn’t a glaring proclamation of the dignity of human life from the point of conception, and a 2,000 year old declaration that the pre-born are aware of stimuli in their environment, then I don’t know what is.  In just a few short words, I’ve always found it to be perhaps the most pro-life passage in the bible.

Mary had just finished learning of her pregnancy from Gabriel when she went to visit Elizabeth.  Even at that microscopic stage of development, the gospel clearly tells us that Jesus is recognized as much more than cells.  He is our Lord.  And who recognizes Him first?  The unborn John the Baptist at approximately 6 month’s gestation; somewhere between 2nd and 3rd trimester.  Maybe I’m reading a little too much into this passage, but at a minimum, I think it is an irrefutable claim to the value of pre-born life, written to us two millennia ago.

As we move on, we see beautiful words spoken by both Elizabeth and Mary during this visit.  Those words would go on to form the Hail Mary and Magnificat prayers.  This brings us around full circle.  The rosary is a recitation of scripture, and we see the basis of the Hail Mary right here in Luke.  Its main focus is not the repetitive praise of Mary, but rather the reciting of the Gospels, the learning of the life of Jesus, the pondering of His teachings, and even insight as to where teachings of the catechism have their basis.

So that’s an overly abbreviated account of why I like the 2nd Joyful Mystery.  Pray the rosary today and think about your favorite mystery as you learn more about Jesus. 


by: Matt Buehrig

No comments: