Thursday, January 2, 2014

Facing the Giants



I think the scene above is a metaphor for our spiritual walk.  Let me explain:

We are all part of God’s team but, like the boys on the team in the scene, we are not really giving it our best all of the time.   We fall prey to distraction, to fear, to peer pressure, to comfort - we know it takes work, and sacrifice, and focus and effort to give our best.  We like to stay in our nice little comfort zones and not ruffle any feathers.  We complain and resist when we are asked to do the littlest of tasks that might cause us discomfort - maybe not outwardly, but it is in our hearts -   and then we do the task half-hearted and only for as short a time as possible - like the boys in the movie when they first where asked to do the death-crawl.  This is not really our best, but it is what everyone else is doing, and it gives us the false confidence that we are accomplishing what is being asked of us.  We are meeting the standards to be part of the team, so why give any more?



But see, in reality we are not meeting those standards.  God is asking us to give Him our very best.

Matthew 22:37 "Jesus said to him:  You shall love the Lord your God with ALL your heart, with ALL your soul, and with ALL your mind.  And love your neighbor as yourself."

Revelation 3:15-16: "I know your deeds; I now you are neither hot nor cold.  How I wish you were one or the other!  But because you are lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth!"

Personally, it is a rare day when I am answering the call to do my best for God.   There are times, though, when we can become so focused on God’s will - like on a CRHP weekend, or some other intense spiritual experience - that we become blind to all the things that keep us from being sold out for God.  Our focus becomes inward and upward, and we don’t allow our pre-conceived notions of success to keep us from going as far as God asks.  Our guide on this journey is Jesus, and we just focus on His will and travel the path He leads us on without concern for the pain, fear, sacrifice and discomfort.  These things are still there - we just endure them because our focus is no longer on ourselves, but on doing our best for God - Like when the character Brock from the movie scene wears the blindfold and crawls the whole field, the coach his only focus as his guide and motivator.

And did you notice the actions of the other members of the team as they watched Brock while he was in this focused state?  At first they were laughing at him, ridiculing and taunting him  - you may have experienced this with some of your friends as you try to live out your faith, I know I have.  But then, as he moved farther and farther along the path the coach led him on - suffering and struggling since what the coach was asking him to do was not easy - the jeering stopped.  A sense of awe and wonder came over them.  It was a sight that was captivating, and it inspired them.  I have been inspired that way when I see others living out their faith, through pain and suffering, fighting against the tide.   Others will notice if you and I do the same.

This way of living, one focused on giving God our best - this is what we are hoping to ignite in all of us here at Holy Infant through programs like PX90 and CRHP.

So I know that you recognize the need to grow spiritually and are working to do just that - you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t feel this way.  Honestly, you men, this group and gathering, are very unique in the Catholic world.  I know that this is unfortunate, but you give me hope and strength every Saturday just because you are here for the right reasons.

But yet, I have to ask - and you should ask yourself - am I giving my very best?  Will God spit me out of His mouth when my day comes?  Can I do more to love God and my neighbor? Can I do more to proclaim His good news and bring others to Christ?  Am I willing to leave my comfort zone and have some serious discussions with my friends about their faith journey?   Not just ask them to come to PX90 or CRHP, but witness to them about why I value these programs and what they have done in my life.

I will end with one of truest and most terrifying sentences I have ever read "If you will look into your own heart in complete honesty, you must admit that there is one and only one reason why you are not a saint: you do not wholly want to be."

3 comments:

bp said...

love that video every time I see it....hate that quote you closed with

bob phillips

Unknown said...

It is all about trying to be a saint. It is amazing how we hold ourselves back. We let alot of junk get in the way, don't we? Thanks for the encouragement.

Jon Nienas

Jim Dunne said...

It's so true though - my choices reveal the true desires of my heart, and in my heart unfortunately I still hold myself as number 1...