Monday, September 5, 2016

Happy Labor Day!

As we celebrate Labor Day, it's a chance to relax, fire up the grill and enjoy the last few hints of summer.  It's also a time to be thankful for our daily work.

It's often a struggle for today's catholic man, to balance all of his responsibilities.  I remember growing up in an era where the roles of responsibilities were more clearly defined.  Parent teacher conference?  My pop didn't know where the school was.  You've got a man cave where you watch the big game in a room in the basement?  My dad had one of those, it was called the house.  And Dad went to work.  And when he came home he was tired from his labor and we would support and care for him like a trainer in the corner of the ring, preparing our fighter to head out at the next bell.

Today is different.  Men are involved in homework, school plays, vacuuming and "listening".  As a result, our families are better off.  So are our hearts, as we enjoy tender relationships with those we provide for in a way our fathers never could.

But where do you draw the line?   How do you balance providing for them and nurturing them?  I can't bake cookies and do crafts all day, but I don't want to be a workaholic either.

God told Adam from the beginning that "by the sweat of your brow, you will eat you food."  But when Jesus was with Mary and Martha, he scorned Martha for her focus on chores rather than worship.  Paul calls for a Christian work ethic:  "if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially those of his own household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."  (1 Timothy 5:8).   Then Matthew 6 tells us to stop storing up treasures for yourself on earth.


Today's great balancing act
So which is it?

A friend once gave me some sound advice.  Sit down with your wife and create a mission statement.  This is what your life, your marriage and your family is all about.  Then look at the work you must do to support that mission.  As you face daily decisions, always come back to, "Is this supporting the mission, or taking us away from the mission."


There have been times when I've had to make family sacrifices to help start a company and do my work.  It no longer was a tug of war between work and family.  It was Lisa and I agreeing that this needed to be done for the greater good of providing.  There have also been times when my ambition drives me beyond this endeavor, and I realize what I'm doing is taking us off course.

It is said that man has three basic needs in life:  love, purpose and significance.  For a long time, I looked toward my family for love and my work for purpose and significance.  My goal now is find my love, purpose and significance in Christ.  My work ethic is a gift from Him that allows me to provide for those I love and the community around me.



This Labor Day, we should be thankful, not just for our paychecks, but for the chance to have our daily work serve a greater purpose.  That spreadsheet your staying late working on isn't just for you own success, but for the greater significance of His glory.  


Well done, good and faithful servant!

No comments: