Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Detachment



I recently read this article from Psychology Today, which gives results from a study identifying Envy as the prominent character trait in the US today (the study placed people in 1 of 4 categories: Envious,Pessimist,Optimist and Trusting).  I would say its tough to argue with these findings. The author ties this data to the air of entitlement that floats over our country today:
This morning, as I was reading about the new game theory statistics showing almost one-third of a study population being driven primarily by envy, I couldn't help but see a correlation to the sense of entitlement that is sweeping our country. In my mind, feeling envious and entitlement go hand in hand. They are two sides of the same coin.
 If you are trying to raise kids today, then this idea is probably obvious to you, as you fight against it everyday - or if you get tired like me, you give in.  Combine this truth with the alarming loss of faith in recent times and the future can look quite grim.

It is not surprising that what the author prescribes as a solution is the same concept the Catholic Church has professed for two thousand years - detachment. 
Simply acknowledging that the current zeitgeist in our society is to be Machiavellian, envious, and entitled, is a call to action to pull against the cultural force of these trends. Also, as Grubbs points, entitlement quickly leads to disappointment, malcontent, and anger. So, by detaching from envy and entitlement, you're actually doing yourself a favor by creating peace of mind and a sense of satisfaction. 
 From this I have to ask myself:

 How much are my decisions and choices driven by envy?

Am I being fed by the swirl of envy the culture shoves down my throat?
(anyone buy an iPhone 7 lately?)

In the way I raise my kids am I fighting against the wave of entitlement they are feeling?
(Do my kids have the latest iPhones?)


 Tough questions...cause I don't like my answers...looks like I need to brush up on my detachment skills...

No comments: