Friday, March 14, 2014

Has God been in your life recently?



By Jim St. Louis


Has God been in your life recently? In what ways has He been present? What God moments have you had in your life?

I have been reading a few different books and pieces of Catholic literature lately and a question was asked of me. But before I get to that, how has God made Himself known to you in the past. For me He has been active in my life through other people, whether it has been a text by friend when I have been down or a quick hello from a friendly face. He manifested Himself one time when my wife and I couldn’t afford our groceries that week with a neighbor inviting us over for dinner not knowing our situation or a different friend giving us the extra bounty from their vegetable garden that week. Or during those stressful times when Deb and I are stretched so thin with getting the kids everywhere they need to be that a friend takes one of the kids for a time and it eases our schedule. During these times, especially the ones where I have had no money, I have prayed for deliverance. Or times of pain and depression I have prayed to be lifted up.

Who has been used by God’s hand in your life?

We are called to do God’s work on this earth for Him. Many times I have taken that to mean being a good and faithful husband, or a loving and patient father, which is true. But He asks more than that doesn’t He. He has asked me to be His hands, His feet and to be a part of the body of Christ. Have I done that? How about you?

These texts I have been reading speak of stewardship and charisms, gifts from God; to be abundantly generous and giving. Deb and I tithe according to scripture but that in my mind is a baseline not a top limit.

So here is the question that was asked of me. How on earth can I give more and to be intentionally and abundantly generous? This one book “The four signs of a dynamic catholic” by Matthew Kelly points out Mother Theresa saying “live simply so that others may simply live”. Is God calling me to live more generously? How do I interpret that and can I really live that way. I am surrounded by God’s gifts and generosity. I have begun my prayers lately by recounting my gratitude for all He has given me. The list is surprisingly long and actually quite simple most days. Which made me realize, do I really need Direct TV? Can I live without watching sports all the time? Do I really need eight bicycles in my garage when I have a family of six? What else do I grasp onto that is not needed but simply extra? My cd’s, books, and toys, could be considered that. I often feel like I am abundantly generous with what God has blessed me with, but am I really? How much farther can I go? How crazy and countercultural is that distance? What would that look like and feel like?

If I start to act more in this manner will I start answering other people’s prayers to be delivered from hunger, to be lifted up from pain, or just to remind people that they are loved and adored by God. When I start thinking about this in that context I feel convicted to be more generous. How many examples of generosity do I need to really decide to make a change? Do I really have the conviction to be drastic and intentionally abundant?

If I repurposed say $100, $200 or even $300 a month, what could I do for God? I could give to the school or more at church. But what if I gave to a food bank? Who would I feed? What about St. Vincent DePaul Society, who could I clothe or would it pay for someone’s utilities? I could give it to shelter and keep the homeless warm for a night. Or if I combined it with my gift of hospitality maybe I could invite a family over to my house that hasn’t been to church lately and we could have a discussion on faith and spirituality. I could use those extra funds to promote healthy marriages or invite a struggling couple out to dinner. The possibilities seem endless to be God’s hand and feet.

May God guide all of us to be more generous in whatever way He envisioned for us. And may God provide me the strength and fortitude to submit to His will. Here I am Lord.


2 comments:

Jim Dunne said...

Challenging thoughts, Jim. I find that it is exactly when I do these things - giving generously without regard for my selfishness - it is in these times that God brings the most peace and joy to my heart. Thanks for the reminder....

Unknown said...

I second that Jim. What a great reminder to let go of the comforts that limit us and get excited about doing God's work and making a difference in our world.