Tuesday, October 27, 2015

I Dare you...

I dare yo to watch this video and not have some sort of emotional response to it (mine was the welling up of tears)...


What is it about this video that stirs emotion?  Why is it that watching other people decide to act with such genuine care, empathy and compassion draws the awe and beauty out of our hearts?  What exactly is that emotion bubbling to the top when we experience such beautiful expressions of human relationship?


Could it be that the awe comes from the unexpectedness of these decisions?   In each of these little vignettes the common venue is a sporting competition.   In the world that you and I have been brought up in, there are expected and accepted ways of acting during competition, and showing ones humanity is not one of those. 

I have spend many, many hours watching sporting competitions.  I have followed the teams I love through thick and thin.  I have even watched the teams I have emotional connections with climb to the highest possible level of achievement.  Yet, I can honestly say I have never had the emotional response in these highs and lows that are similar to what is brought out of me watching these seemingly small, insignificant acts seen in the video.

So what if this same type of phenomena is true in other parts of my life?  In the many roles we play as men - as fathers, sons, husbands, employees, coaches, teammates, friends - there are expected and accepted ways of acting that have been formed in some way by our society.  And like competition,  genuine human care and compassion is often seen as outside the bounds of these rules.  We are supposed to be tough, emotionless and always working to win in any situation! 

I challenge you to bring your humanity into these situations, and break the societal rules.  See how this decision changes the flow of emotion in your heart, and in the hearts of others your actions will touch. 

No comments: