Thursday, January 16, 2014

Home

I love music. Always have. There is something primal, in my inner being that is moved by song. Imagine an epic film without the emotionally charged sound track. That old classic you start belting out in the car with the whole family. The love song that takes you back to a special summer night. I sometimes wonder why it is that we, collectively as humans, have such a connection with music. Science will tell you that it is simply sound waves at various pitches and frequencies, but your heart will tell you it is something much more than that.

There are very few things that we as a species can agree on. We have different cultures, different beliefs, different political systems, and different appearances. However, in some basic ways beyond our biology, we are all the same. These common traits, that stay a part of us throughout history, regardless of circumstance or worldly influence, are part of a design. A well constructed masterpiece from a grand architect.

 

People sometimes are amazed that humans have always longed for a higher power. As we advance as a species, some would suggest our dependence on a supreme being to answer some of life's mysteries would slowly fade. Yet hear we are in 2014 with over 7 billion people on the planet, and over 90% of them believe in God. Why? I believe it is the same reason I love music. It is part of God's design.

Like so many of God's divine intentions for us, we have the capacity with our brokenness to take something beautiful and make it ugly. And we've all heard some ugly music. Next time your teenager thinks that song you asked them to turn off is harmless, and that you are just being a prude parent, try having them read the lyrics out loud to the entire family, young siblings and all, at the family dinner table. It's important to let music feed your soul the way God intended, and to be guarded from messages that pull you away from Him rather than toward Him.

Once you go past the surface of tapping your toe to background music, and really listen to the lyrics, and the story that it can tell, it reminds me of digging deeper into scripture. It might not be the direct word of God, but if you pay attention, you will find his message reaching out and calling to you.

I remember this fall being consumed with anxiety and stress over my business, which had created additional problems at home. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating right, and I had let my peace and joy that normally comes from trusting and following, be overrun by fear. Then, on a slow drive in the rain to visit a friend, I heard the song Home come on by Phillip Phillips. I've always like that tune, so I instinctively reached for the volume and turned it up. But for some reason, this time I wasn't just listening to the folksy, merry tune. I was picturing an image of Jesus, looking at me and smiling while I listened to the song. It was something he wanted me to hear, so I listened more closely....


"Home"

Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave (wave) is stringing us along
Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm gonna make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm gonna make this place your home



Thank you God. I will settle down and wait for it to be clear. I will not lose hope. I will always look for you when I am lost. And when I am with you again, I will feel that warmth of peace that I only find when I know I'm Home.



2 comments:

Michael VanVooren said...

How true, Ben.

How also true that music like the "Catholicism Soundtrack," and other songs in Church/at Mass, uplift and inspire us all the more.

Compare and contrast to the “pop” songs… uplifting in tone and rhythm, but when you listen to or read the lyrics you realize they are “less than wholesome.” And yet we often want to at least tap our feet at those very same songs. What does that mean about our “primal instincts?”

Also… isn’t it possible only by the grace of God that when we listen to, say songs from Rush after the drummer’s wife died of despair after their daughter died in a car crash and whose lyrics became understandably less-than-chipper, or to Meatloaf’s “Bat out of Hell” (singing loudly to words we’d never want to say from our own personal experience), that we can experience joy… but is it joy or just excitement. Excitement and joy are not necessarily the same thing.

I think in short, lest we spend cycles fretting o'er such legitimate concerns, we need to encourage ourselves to "do all for the glory of God."

Thanks,
Mike

Tim Morrison said...

I think Ben introduces a couple of broad topics in Home and music. I think music touches us and transcends us at the same time on different levels. The lyrics tell a story similar to parables which introduce so many strands of interpretation and meaning. There's much to be explored in music and spirituality.