Monday, February 23, 2015

The Dust of Lent

One of the benefits of being involved up at Holy Infant is you build relationships with guys beyond the normal "How 'bout them Cardinals?"  Most of you know, I was involved with CRHP last year, and one of those relationships that sprang from those efforts was with Tyler Nienas.

I've known Tyler through the years from knowing Jon and Sheryl, and some involvement he had as a teen in youth group, and as a seminarian.  Tyler left the seminary during his discernment for his vocation and it was during this searching period that I invited him to come to CRHP with his dad.  It was an amazing experience.  Not just to see the bond between father and son, but to see the man that Tyler is becoming.

His love of the church and admiration for her history is inspiring.  When this 22 year old kid was preaching to a group of old soccer dads, I couldn't help but picture the scribes all huddled around Jesus, who at a very young age was sharing revelations.

Tyler would be the first to tell you that the comparisons between him and Jesus stop there, but I see the call in him.  As Tyler continues his journey, he shared with me something he wrote for Lent.  I convinced him to read it so I could make a quick video.

Here is that video.  I hope you enjoy the wise words of this young man as much as I do.  As we struggle through this season, let's not forget that we have strength in numbers.  We are one united body in Christ.  Pray for Tyler, for God to continue to use him as He sees fit, and for Tyler to be ready should that call come.  Let us also encourage each other to stay disciplined and humble as we wait for that glorious Sunday to come.


No comments: