Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Jesus, be our Rock


I recently finished a book called "Under the Overpass" by Mike Yankoski. It is the true story of 2 college age kids, Mike and his buddy Sam, who decided to live on the streets and experience life homeless. Mike's account of the situations he and Sam experienced and the people they encountered is compelling on many levels. What struck me the hardest was the courage to step outside of their comfort zones and follow what they saw as a call from Christ.

"The first night on the streets of D.C., when it felt like Sam and I had dropped into oblivion, I prayed a desperate prayer: "Jesus, be our Rock." And He was. Even though the months brought more challenges than we could have imagined, even though we came to the end of ourselves again and again, Jesus held us safe in His power. And He will do the same for you, too.

What if following Him is hard? What if along the way He asks you to accomplish difficult tasks or to overcome intimidating obstacles? What if it requires more of you than you have to give?

Listen, that's the way it's supposed to be. Those places of need are where you and I discover ourselves, our faith, and - best of all - our God. It's there, in our weakness, that He shows Himself true, faithful, powerful, gracious, and loving.

God probably isn't calling you to live on the streets like He did Sam and me, but He is calling you - like He does each of His children - to take important risks of faith that are unique to you and your opportunities. I doubt those risks will have much to do with putting on a Christian acronym bracelet or a cross T-shirt. More likely, your journey will lead you toward utter dependence on the King of kings and a resolution to follow Him wherever He may ask you to go. That might be to the streets, to your friends and family, to your neighbor, or to a stranger you haven't even met yet."


I love this passage from the book - it convicts me as I sit quietly and watch life pass me by. There are situations that God has placed in my sites - situations that I look at and my first reaction is to say "That looks messy, I'm not getting involved in that!" - they appear very risky and uncomfortable. I'm not just talking about encounters with the homeless - I'm talking about everyday encounters with friends, family, coworkers, etc.  God is asking me to 'lean into the discomfort' and trust in Him, to be His hands and voice. The choice is mine - will I follow Him and trust, risking my safe, comfortable life - or will I follow and trust only in myself.

What will you choose?

No comments: