Monday, October 21, 2019

Tithing

Well that title should result in some of the fewest hits I’ve ever gotten on a blog here.  In polite society we don’t talk about money, and we certainly don’t hold our hand out.  But what about the church?  What are we called to give back in an effort to support our parish?

Do I have to give 10%?  Is that before taxes or after taxes?  Does the tuition at Holy Infant count?  What about when I overpaid for that auction item last year?  

Ok, let’s start with the basics.  Tithing is a Jewish custom that many believe started with Genesis 14 where Abraham donated a tenth of his belongings to the rabbi Melchizedek.   Several of our protestant brothers and sisters adhere to the strict % number of tithing – 10% of your family income, right off the top.  The Catholic church however, does not specify a percentage that lay people are required to give.  Rather there is a stewardship of offering your time, talent and treasure.   For whatever reason, people are willing to donate some time, and even some of their talents, but when it comes to treasure, well that’s an awkward conversation.

There are times in your life where you are barley getting by and there are times where you have more than you need.  I know me personally, when I was out of work in 2005, I sat down with Monsieur Dempsey and had the embarrassing conversation that I had to stop my donations for a while until I got back on my feet.  He was more than gracious, treating my family no different than he had before.  Our first responsibility is to provide for the basic necessities of our family.  The church does not ask for you to not pay your mortgage in an effort to put money in the collection plate.   Having said that, we can all do better.

Here are some unsettling statistics:  The average share of our income that we U.S. Catholics give to our Church (including not just weekly parish giving, but special collections and other Church related charities) is a mere 1% - the same as it’s been as long as anyone’s been counting.  That’s the lowest percentage of giving of any major religious denomination in the United States.  

So why don’t we give more?  What are we afraid of?  Isn’t everything that we have God’s anyway?  I have a theory.  I know it’s true for me, so I’m guessing it’s true for others as well.  I don’t know if a really trust God.  Somewhere deep down, I believe that the only person who is going to take care of me is me, and if I really give away my hard earned treasure, I will be left in need.  So I give just enough to make me feel like I’m doing my part, but I don’t give until it hurts.  Why?  Because I want the control.  I believe the path to happiness is through my own gratification and pleasure, and I’m like Carol House…. I like nice things.

Here’s where I’m starting to see that this thinking is holding me back.  I know, looking at my life, that whenever I have given more than I felt comfortable with, not once, not twice, but every single time I have been provided for.  God is never outdone in generosity.   I’ve experienced this first hand, but still, my faith gets tested and the enemy convinces me that I need to hoard things for myself.  Without my money, I don’t have security and comfort.  So I build more barns to store my grain to continue to chase this illusion that my money will keep me safe and happy.  It’s not security.  It’s a prison.  One that keeps me from enjoying the amazing life God wants to offer me if I’d only let go and trust him.

     Image result for holding back 

1 comment:

Gene B. said...

We had a "money talk" at a Cursilo I made about 40 years ago. The Franciscan talked for
six hours about money. I'll never for get this . . .You double your weekly contribution next Sunday. Remember you can't out do God in generosity. If you haven't received this increase back to you next year, call me. We'll have Channel 5 out to report from you that "God lied".

One more. . .It's your responsibility to give . . . it's the Pastor's responsibility to spend
your gift wisely.