Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Christmas Fertilizer

Merry Christmas!  Today I write to you about manure.

What does manure have to do with Christmas?  To start with, Jesus was born in a stable, which isn’t exactly the most sterile of environments.  Despite the overly idealized versions of our current Nativity scenes, Jesus’ birth was certainly not a pleasantly aromatic experience.  However, I’ve touched on that already in the past.  Today I’d like to concentrate on a very interesting take I recently heard regarding the Parable of the Barren Fig Tree. 

Luke 13:6-9 (taken from usccb.org online bible):
And he told them this parable: “There once was a person who had a fig tree planted in his orchard, and when he came in search of fruit on it but found none, he said to the gardener, ‘For three years now I have come in search of fruit on this fig tree but have found none.  Cut it down.  Why should it exhaust the soil?’
He said to him in reply, ‘Sir, leave it for this year also, and I shall cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it; it may bear fruit in the future. If not you can cut it down.’”

We are all familiar with this story about how the gardener would add tender loving care to the fig tree for a year to try to revive it and nurture it along.  At least that was the thought that had gone through my head whenever I hear the parable.  I imagined the gardener kneeling down beside the tree and gingerly patting up dirt around its base with his bare hands.  I imagined him spreading fertilizer around the soil, and whenever I did, in my mind it somehow looked like the bleached white granules you pour out of a Miracle-Gro bag.  I’ll admit I probably even envisioned him wrapping his blanket around the trunk, and having the fig tree spring back to life, just like Linus did in “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” 

I was reminded that this tree was in an orchard, however, and was not a potted house plant.  Most likely, when the gardener was going to “cultivate the ground around it”, he was probably going to beat it up pretty badly.  He would dig at it with a shovel, hack at it with a hoe, and basically disrupt everything around it.  He would take the area closest to the tree, everything that looked level and smooth, and turn it over while breaking it apart.

What about the fertilizer?  Monsanto wasn’t in business in the 1st Century.  Fertilizer meant manure.  It could have possibly been decomposing garbage.  In some ancient civilizations, even salt was used.  After destroying all of the smoothness around the tree, salt may have been thrown into the wounded area, and then compost and manure piled on top.  All of this was with the intention of pushing the tree to be stronger, and produce fruit.  To do what it was placed on this earth to do.

Have you had the calm around you disrupted this past year?  Does everything close to you seem in upheaval?  Do you feel like everything has been getting dumped on you?  Are you completely surrounded by the most horrible, disgusting things, and you can’t even see the positive because of the stench of negative that seems to constantly be upon you? 

Keep the faith, and remain strong!  The Good Gardener has saved you!  He did not allow you to be cut down, and instead has helped you to maintain throughout all of this. 

My year has been a tough one.  At many times I felt as though I might be close to going down.  I don’t believe it was an axe that was hacking at my base, however.  I have faith that it was a shovel.  I have faith that the turmoil will lead to better in the future.  I realize that there may be more still to endure before that future arrives.  In fact I know it.  We have a difficult surgery already scheduled for one of our children in January.  The manure is about to be dumped upon us.  With faith, we will make it through.  I write this to convince myself, as much as anyone else, that we will be strengthened through our difficulties.  I pray that I emerge, able to produce the fruit that God has intended.  I pray that you emerge with strength from whatever is cultivating you.

Have a WONDERFUL AND BLESSED CHRISTMAS with your families and loved ones.  Please say a prayer for my family in the New Year.

Written by: Matt Buehrig
Inspired by: Anna, Greg, and all of my family who has endured medical crisis this year

No comments: