Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Make this Year Different

With the current string of beautiful days and warmer weather here in Ballwin, you may be forgiven to think that Winter has come to an end. But it is still February, and I am quite certain that there are a few more chilling days in store before we taste fully the rejuvenating nectar of Spring.

This thought brings to mind the liturgical season of Lent, which believe it or not begins next week. I am always caught off guard by the start of this season, not expecting it, not prepared to meet it with the attention it deserves. It is like I am just trodding along, enjoying the comfort and anonymity of an unexamined life, and then all of the sudden the wave of frigid air hits as I am asked to look deeper, to travel along a more treacherous path. Without preparation, the focus of a goal and the gathering of the needed tools, I instinctively grab for anything available to at least appear to be on the journey. I'm guessing you all now how that ends from similar experience...

My intention is to make this year different. I have this coming week to do some recon work, to ask for and discover in prayer and silence some knowledge of the path God is asking me to walk. Knowing at least a little bit about Our Lord, I have no doubt that the route will look dangerous, outside of what I am comfortable with. This fear of the unknown will likely stir doubt and uncertainty. To calm these feelings, I plan to ask Him for a guide to show me the way and walk with me, and He will send the Holy Spirit. Once I've established contact with him, we together will gather the necessary provisions that will provide sustenance and support for the 40 days ahead.

And when Ash Wednesday comes, we will set out in confidence, prepared to make the journey fruitful and primed to reach our final destination.


---------------------------------------------
Here are a few previous posts regarding Lent. These might be a good place to start in formulating your Lenten plans:

http://himenpx90.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-wepons-of-war.html

http://himenpx90.blogspot.com/2016/03/how-to-survive-torture.html

http://himenpx90.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-hard-places.html

http://himenpx90.blogspot.com/2014/04/engage.html

No comments: