Monday, May 18, 2015

The Shepherd

I heard a story yesterday that I thought deserved repeating…..

Once upon a time there was a very successful businessman. He was born into the worst kind of poverty imaginable, but grew up to be extremely prosperous and well connected throughout the world. He owned a castle about an hour outside of London. He never went to the castle because he was always too busy. One summer he decided to have a party at the castle. He invited 600 guests. The list was a who’s who of the whole world including every celebrity and famous person you could imagine. Sprinkled amount the guest list was about a dozen very average people who were the childhood friends of the host.

On the evening of the party, the castle looked amazing. Every detail was attended to and the guests were ushered into a great banquet hall. There they were served an exquisite meal with the finest wines. Toward the end of the meal, the host explained that rather than music or dancing as the evening’s entertainment, he had invited England’s premier Shakespearean actor to present a series of the most famous writings. With that the actor stood up, and was welcomed by thunderous applause and began to perfectly recite one after another some of the most beautiful theatrical poems and screenplays of our time. After each excerpt, the audience would cheer and applause and the sound echoed through the great hall up the spires and into the courtyard. After about 20 minutes, the actor said he was finished, but if anyone would like to request any of their favorite works, he would perform them. A man raised his hand and requested the soliloquy from MacBeth. The actor delivered it flawlessly. The crowd went crazy. A woman requested the 14th sonnet. He delivered that just as powerfully. Another requested the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet. He performed it brilliantly. Each time the hall erupted in applause.

Then an older man in toward the back raised his hand. It turns out the old man was a priest. A friend from the old neighborhood. The old priest said to the actor, “Sir, I realize it’s not Shakespeare, but I was wondering if you would be able to recite the 23rd Psalm.” The actor smiled and said, “Father, when I was in fourth grade, Sister Mary Margaret made each of us memorize that very passage. It has stayed with me my entire life. I’ve never presented it to a crowd, but I would be happy to do it on one condition.” The old man was surprised by the request. The actor continued, “My condition is that when I finish, that you do us the favor of reciting the Psalm as well.” The old man reluctantly agreed and the actor took center stage once more. With all of his genius and art of his craft he delivered the Psalm perfectly. As he finished, the crowd lept to their feet and cheered and whistled. Things finally quieted down as the actor now looked to the old priest. As the room shifted their gaze the old man nervously fidgeted with the table cloth in front of him and then he began in a firm but deeply reflective voice…

The Lord is my Shepard. There is nothing I shall want.
He lets me lie down in green pastures. He leads me besides peaceful waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not be afraid. For the Lord, He is at my side.
His rod and His staff, they comfort and protect me.
He prepares a table for me in the presence of my enemies. He anoints my head with oil. My cup overflows.
Surely good and mercy will follow me, all the days of my life.
And I will live in the house of the Lord, forever.

When the priest finished, nobody clapped. Nobody spoke. Nobody moved. It was as if the old priest had just mesmerized all of them. The host stood up and addressed the crowd. He said, “Do you all realize what you have just witnessed here tonight?” The people stared back blankly. “I’ll tell you. Sir David has known that Psalm his whole life. Ever since he was a child, he had memorized the verse, and delivered it in a way that very few actors could execute. So why then were the same words, that came from my old friend so much more powerful?

Sir David might know the Psalm, but Father Patrick, he knows the Shepard.”

If there is nothing else we do in this life, get to know that Shepard. Ask him to restore your soul.


No comments: