Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Unbroken


As part of his senior leadership class last year, my son Ryan had to read a book. He gave the book to me and told me it would be worth my time to read. He was right. It took 7 years for the author Laura Hillenbrand to write it. Hillenbrand also wrote another best-seller called Sea Biscuit. The name of the book is “Unbroken”. The movie – also called Unbroken – will be released next month. It chronicles the life of an American hero named Louis Zamperini.

Louie was an Olympic athlete and WWII veteran. His story is about survival, resilience, and redemption. It is unlike anything you’ll probably ever see. But ultimately, it’s about his commitment to faith and his uncanny ability to forgive those who tortured him and tried to take away his dignity.

Back in 1998, the Winter Olympics took place in Nagano, Japan. CBS ran this story about the life of Zamperini. This inspirational video was shown at our last PX90 meeting, followed by some great discussion about everyday challenges we face as men and how we maintain our own dignity. I hope you have the time to watch it and appreciate the blessings in your life as you prepare for Thanksgiving. Like my son said to me when he handed me the book, “it will be worth your time”.

May God continue to bless you and your families. Happy Thanksgiving! Here is the incredible life story of Louie Zamperini:

1 comment:

Jim Dunne said...

Incredible Story Sean! I can't wait to see the movie...

One thought - Thanksgiving is a time of family gatherings, and sometimes within families there are wounds, hurt feelings and grudges that have been held onto for many years. these things cause division and can taint the joy and fellowship that Thanksgiving is meant to provide. I know such things are part of my extended family.

I ask that we all think again about the incredible story of Louie Zamperini, and the overwhelming peace he found in forgiving those who had caused him so much physical and mental suffering. Maybe this Thanksgiving can be a time of healing within our families, if we ask God to provide us with the grace to forgive.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!