Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Love Letter

Many of you have probably experienced the dreaded day when you take your child away to college. Our oldest will start her 3rd year at Kansas University. She left Sunday. Yesterday, my wife and I took our son to Quincy University. We arrived late morning and didn't leave until almost 7:00 p.m. Just like I did with his older sister, I handed him a manilla envelope at the moment we left. Enclosed was a picture of him on my shoulders when he was five. The envelope also contained a love letter. Sometimes it's easier to express words on paper than it is face to face. I wanted him to know how much he is loved.....and that he is never alone.


Son,

I miss you already. As you’re reading this, I’m probably reminiscing about all the Father/Son times we’ve shared together. Countless memories and so many more to come. So thus it begins – the next chapter for Ryan Walsh. This is a big one. You’re ready. You know it, and I know it. My daily prayer for you is always the same – “Lord, may Ryan be prepared physically and mentally for the challenges he will face. May he be prepared to make the necessary sacrifices that will make him a better man. And may he continue to be a good and faithful servant.”

 We could not be more proud of your accomplishments son. You have nothing to prove. Your academic and athletic abilities have brought you here. You can accomplish anything. You’re in a good spot. Stay focused. College years are such a privilege. The first few weeks are a time like no other. Everyone will want to meet you and there will be none of the social awkwardness that usually accompanies rushing up and speaking to total strangers. Don’t squander this short window of opportunity. These relationships may last a lifetime. People will help you. Be sure to help others. Serving others defines moral character. Moral character opens up many doors for you.

I wasn’t ready for college at 18. I was too immature, too self-centered and had low self-esteem. I wasn’t self-disciplined and I didn’t have the drive. But you do. You’re a smart, good-looking athletic young man. God gave you gifts, and you’ve used them well. Your mother and I cannot wait to see what the next four years have in store for you. Please know this – no one, and I mean no one, has nurtured you more in life than your mother. She will miss you more than you know. Honor her by calling, texting, emailing, etc. regularly. You can begin honoring Mom by honoring the Holy Mother Mary on Friday. It’s a holy day of obligation. Go to mass and say a prayer for Mom. How much will Mom miss you? She slept in your bed Sunday night while you were gone. Enough said.

Know that soccer is a means to an end. Your ability to play it so well is only a part of your character. It doesn’t define who you are. The amount of time you play as a freshman will not determine your success. Here’s what will:

Was I a good teammate? Did I train to the very best of my ability? Did I prepare myself before each match? Did I make my teammates better by giving my all in practice? Did I lift my teammates up when they were down? Did I compliment them on their achievements? Did I not get discouraged when I did something wrong and try to do the next thing right? Did I get the proper amount of sleep every night? Did I eat well and maintain a proper diet to keep myself in top form?

If you can answer “yes” to these questions, Congratulations! You’ve had a very successful season.

You’re on your own now, but you’re never alone. As you embark on this new adventure, please know how much we love and support you. Family is forever. Your little sister thinks the sun rises and sets with you. Stay in touch with her and your older sister.  Follow your life plan. God knows it. Seek it. The chapel is very close to you. Unscheduled visits outside of Sunday mass are not required, but very favored. Spend some time there, even if it’s a quick prayer.

Cling to those who share your beliefs. Stray from those who don’t. Always use good moral judgment. Remain self-disciplined – never miss a class or any promises you keep to others. Stay out of your comfort zone and define the man you’re going to be these next four years. Enjoy it, because it may be the best four years of your life.

And finally…….. Keep us close, but always keep God closer.

Love,
Dad
 
 Thank you Holy Infant men for making me a better man. I'm truly blessed.

Sean

2 comments:

Ben Harris said...

Sean,

You embody the kind of Dad I want to be. There are few people I look up to. You are one.

Well done, good and faithful servant. Well done.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ben. I appreciate the kind words, but you don't want to embody me. St. Joseph is the man to embody. Appearances aren't always what they seem to be. I have failed too many times. But thanks to men like you at PX90, I'm facing challenges rather than turning away from them. We are brothers, you and I. As long as we continue to challenge one another, our wives and children will have the man that they need at home. And if we follow God's plan like Joseph did, we can achieve true happiness.

God bless,
Sean