Wednesday, February 12, 2014

PRAYERFUL GIANT

I remember it like it was yesterday. March 1985. I was a Senior at Mizzou majoring in Broadcast Journalism. The entire year was spent working at KBIA radio & KOMU-TV covering sports and news. No classroom work. Just working in the field. Challenging, yet fun. 

So imagine the excitement I had when I obtained a press pass to cover the Cardinals in St. Petersburg, FL for my spring break. What a blessing. I was so lucky. Even better, my entire family made the trip that week. We had a blast. Mom and Dad were thrilled to have us all together. My Dad was amazing. With only a high school degree, Dad was a minor league pitcher with the Giants organization. He got as far as Double A. He became a very successful car salesman, a hotel manager, and retired as Vice President and General Manager of Jefferson Savings & Loan. On this day in 1985, he was walking around the Cardinals clubhouse with me. No press pass for Dad. He was good friends with Smokin' Joe Cunningham - Cardinals Sales Director and former player, and Whitey Herzog. Dad walked around and just talked with everyone - Herzog, Ozzie, Jack Buck, etc. He cherished these moments. What an impression he made on me.

 Mom is something very special. Where Dad loved the limelight, Mom preferred the background. Dad taught us how to work hard and to be opportunistic. Mom taught us something just as important - FAITH. God is in my life because of my Mom - the family Prayerful Giant. I could fill a garbage can full of all the rosaries she has worn over the years. I'm convinced that her six children are alive and well because of all her prayers. She still attends daily mass, and is an active member of our old parish. What a blessing she has been for 85 years.

It was a sunny, hot day at Al Lang Stadium when I first walked into the ballpark. The Prayerful Giant had a very special request. "Do you think you'll interview Tommy Herr?" I said to Mom, "Yeah, I hope so." She smiled and said, "Can you get me his autograph?". You see, Tommy Herr had an attribute much more important than Ozzie Smith, Jack Clark, or Willie McGee.....Mr. Herr was really cute. Therefore, I told the Prayerful Giant I would get his autograph.

I didn't get to interview Mr. Herr, but I was able to get him to sign a baseball. He was very nice and asked me who to make it out to. I said "Gerry Walsh". At the time, I already knew what a solid player Tommy Herr was. What I didn't know was what a devout Christian Mr. Herr was. He signed the baseball like this:

To Gerry - 
Best Wishes

Tommy Herr
John 3:16

What? Are you kidding me. My Mom - the Prayerful Giant - who already thinks this guy is cute, and now he signs her baseball with scripture! I couldn't wait to hand her the ball. I rushed up to our seats and sat next to Mom. I handed her the ball and said, "Here you go Mom". She smiled, looked at the ball, looked back at me and then looked at the ball a second time. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened wide. With a surprised look on her face, she turned to me one more time and said, "Did you see what he did? He's so sweet that he even put on here what time he signed the ball!".......Ugh! Yeah, she was serious. As I looked at my watch and noticed it was about 12:30, I wondered what time zone Mom was on. She may be a little naive, but I like to think of it as holy innocence.

I have much to be grateful for. The book handed out at our Christmas masses is called "The Four Signs Of A Dynamic Catholic". They are Evangelization, Generosity, Study, and Prayer. All that is good and right in my life is a direct reflection of the love Christ has for me. The greatest fear I have is failing God. I desire to uphold the responsibilities He has given me. Do I fail? Absolutely. Through the trials and tribulations of life, I'm certain of this - I won't succeed as the faithful servant without prayer. It's never easy, but it's doable. Read that book and you'll know how practical and easy a consistent prayer life is. If you don't believe me, just ask my Mom.

Peace & blessings,
Sean Walsh






1 comment:

bp said...

Great story Sean, too funny about the baseball....Bob