Friday, June 6, 2014

Operation Overlord

Keeping your promises to others is important - especially your children. So after my youngest daughter served mass, I promised her a pancake breakfast at IHOP. As we waited for our table, a very old man slowly strolled in and sat near us. His  heavily decorated hat caught my attention. I couldn't see the inscription on his medals, but I clearly saw the embroidered "WWII Veteran" smack dab in the middle of his hat. Overwhelmed in that moment, I rose and walked over to him. I introduced myself, shook his hand and thanked him for his service to our country. He thanked me for what he called "my kindness". My final words to him were "May God continue to bless you." This made an impression on my daughter who thought that I knew the man. As we ate our breakfast, I explained to her how important the men and women of our military are for their sacrifices and service. Needless to say, the pancake breakfast had much more emphasis than I had anticipated.

Seventy years ago today, our brave allied forces also made a promise - to end the intrinsic evil of the Nazi tyranny. The D-Day operation of June 6, 1944 brought together the land, air and sea forces of the allied armies in what became known as the largest invasion force in human history. The operation, given the codename OVERLORD, delivered five naval assault divisions to the beaches of Normandy, France. The invasion force included 7,000 ships and landing craft manned by over 195,000 naval personnel from eight allied countries. Almost 133,000 troops from England, Canada and the United States landed on D-Day. Casualties from the three countries during the landing numbered 10,300. By June 30th, over 850,000 men, 148,000 vehicles, and 570,000 tons of supplies had landed on the Normandy shores. Fighting by the brave soldiers, sailors and airmen of the allied forces western front, and Russian forces on the eastern front, led to the defeat of German Nazi forces.

There are 9,386 graves in the American cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer. Each grave faces west, towards America. Please take the time today to appreciate the freedom you have because of the military men and women who have made the promise to keep our country safe. May God continue to bless our active and retired military, and those who are deceased. Please keep them in your prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a simple "Amen"